Sunday, January 12, 2014

Life , Death .. and that one phone call



Maa ...Madre .. Mother



Smoke fills the air… 
  
remnants of an addicted nature ... 
  
An empty bottle by my side … 
  
liquor a  regular feature.   
  
  
  
A future seemingly bleak...   
  
My mind convoluting without brakes 
  
I seek out the easiest escape route ,  
  
one decision is all it takes. 
  
   
  
As moments slither by , 
  
the ceiling fan seems friendlier ... 
  
To end it all seems appropriate , 
  
a tragic end to a dismal failure  
  
  
  
I look around for an alternative,  
  
all routes  showing none ... 
  
I messed up bad, I know it,   
  

  
  
  
Just a few more moments remaining , 
  
a sad conclusion to the million seconds before. 
  
I steel myself towards the finality,
  
resignation writ large on my soul ....  
  
  
  
And then the phone starts ringing
  
I wonder who the caller might be.
  
the incessant ring filling up the void 
  
begging to be answered by me.  
  
  
  
A tentative 'Maa' comes forth,  
  
as I recognize the caller on the phone .
  
my eyes start pouring away
  
as my soul unburdens my woes 
  
  
  
She proclaims no miraculous mantra
  
no grand statements of inspiration .
  
she simply connects to me 
  
courage enough to challenge my damnation.   
  
  
  
As I recall that call over the years
  
my beautiful daughter by my side 
  
a few roses for a stony grave 
  
and for my dear mother who never died.

No comments:

Post a Comment